Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A story about missions and home

Once upon a time, I was on a mission. And as the rule goes, you only get 18 months of being on a mission. As I got closer and closer to the end of those 18 months, something funny started happening: everytime I thought of going back home- I got this really horrible sick feeling.

Taiwan had become my home. Companions, my bike, investigators, 6AM alarms, 9 PM curfews, nightly follow-ups with my district leader- this was my life. And the thought of leaving all this to go 'home' and be someone I know longer knew how to be horrified me.

The good news is, as dreadful as it sounded or looked from my view in Taiwan, coming home has actually been quite nice. I always heard horror stories of recently returned missionaries who spent long days trying to belong somewhere, and even longer nights crying themselves to sleep because they couldn't find where that somewhere was. I feared so badly that that would be me.

But sometimes, coming home is wonderful.
Sometimes you have a nice job, with nice people to work with, and nice new students to teach.
Sometimes South Jordan gets another freeway exit and a new temple to visit.
Sometimes cute boys help you move into your new/old home.
Sometimes friendly neighbors invite you to fun events in town.
Sometimes you get to make new friends, and see old friends with new exciting lives.
Sometimes you find a great new flavor of ice cream.
Sometimes your siblings are doing really neat things in their lives.
Sometimes life's new chapter really can be just as lovely as the last one.

And so, as it turns out, home really is where the heart is. So Taiwan and Utah, if you both want to be my home, I won't be mad. I'm just saying.

Here are some more friends who love being home. And singing about it.





2 comments:

brynne frei said...

hooray from your number one fan! i'm glad you've enjoyed this new phase of life and so happy you're home. great song choices as always. you da best, gf!

Anne Rowley said...

Please write more blogs! I was so happy to see this. And I WANT TO CYBER STALK YOU.